Psoriasis is a long-lasting autoimmune skin disorder that skin cells build up to form red itchy scaly patches. It appears on the scalp, elbows, knees, and lower back. The mechanism behind Psoriasis is the speedup of the life cycle of skin cells. Skin cells grow deep in the skin and slowly rise to the surface and later they shed off. The main goal of treatment is to stop the skin cells from growing so quickly.
If you have psoriasis, you are more likely to get some other health conditions, including:
- Psoriatic arthritis, a condition that causes joint pain and swelling.
- Cardiovascular problems, which affect the heart and blood circulation system.
- High blood pressure
Symptoms of Psoriasis
The symptoms of Psoriasis vary from person to person. Common symptoms and signs include:
- Plaques of red skin, covered with silver-colored scales.
- Plaques may be itchy and painful and they sometimes crack and bleed.
- They can also show up on your fingernails and toenails, genitals, and inside your mouth. Nail disorders including discoloration and pitting of the fingernails and toenails. The nails may also crumble or detach from the nail bed.
- Joints will be painful and swollen.
(Also Read: Seborrheic dermatitis and treatments)
Causes of Psoriasis
The cause of psoriasis is unclear but experts believe that it’s a combination of genetics, the immune system and environmental factors.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune skin condition in which your body’s immune system starts overacting and attacking itself. In a typical body, T cells (immune cells) protect the body from pathogens and cancer cells and fight against infections. If a person has psoriasis, the T cells attack healthy skin cells by mistake causing the skin cell production process to produce more. The speedup of skin cell production causes new skin cells to develop too quickly. The build-up of old cells being replaced by new ones creates those silver scales.
Many people with psoriasis have a family history of the disease, and researchers have found some genes linked to psoriasis.
Factors that may trigger psoriasis include:
- Emotional stress
- weather change that dries out your skin
- Certain medications (lithium, antimalarial drugs, blood pressure beta-blockers)
Treatment of Psoriasis
Good health is based on a healthy body, a healthy mind and spirit. In Ayurveda, Psoriasis is caused due to the vitiation of Vata and Kapha doshas. Accumulation of toxins or ama could also lead to this disease condition. Ayurveda doctors believe that when these doshas are out of balance, it will affect our health badly. When the energies in our bodies are out of balance, we feel stressed, dizzy, and more vulnerable to diseases and we get sick frequently. The primary aim of Ayurveda is to balance the doshas in our bodies so that we can get a healthy body mind and spirit. Before taking medicinal herbs for psoriasis, it is always advisable to consult a professional healthcare provider.
Ayurveda therapies are generally safe, and they help in reducing signs and symptoms, such as itching and scaling.
HERBS– There is some evidence that three herbs or herbal treatments — Mahonia aquifolium (Oregon Grape), Indigo Naturalis, and Aloe Vera — can improve psoriasis symptoms by reducing inflammation or skin cell growth.
Mahonia aquifolium (Oregon Grape or Barberry)
Oregon Grape is a traditional herb use in treating inflammatory conditions, including psoriasis due to its anti-inflammatory properties. The stem and leaves of the plant can be powdered or distilled into an extract and then used topically as a skin cream. It suppresses some of the inflammation and redness in psoriatic flares when used topically. The plant can also slow down the growth of skin cells, thereby preventing the skin cells to multiply too rapidly, which leads to scaly skin and plaques.
Different variations of Mahonia aquifolium:- (BUY FROM AMAZON BY CLICKING THE BELOW LINKS)
Indigo Naturalis is a plant used for many centuries in traditional Chinese medicine for treating skin conditions. In clinical trials, indigo naturalis was found an effective herbal remedy for psoriasis when used along with Mahonia aquifolium. The extract of the herb can also be used on other parts of your body where psoriasis flares are seen. In one study, applying oil on nail psoriasis daily for 24 weeks has shown significant improvement.
Different variations of Indigo Naturalis:-
100% Natural Nail Oil Treatment from Indigo Natural Herbs Apply the oil into your cuticles and the skin around your nail bed at least twice daily.
Turmeric is one of the most common topical preparations in Ayurvedic medicine which contains curcumin. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It can also mix it into a paste and apply it to the skin. Many people suffering from psoriasis have reported a dramatic improvement in their psoriasis symptoms.
Aloe Vera plant is known for its soothing and cooling properties and has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. In studies, Aloe Vera was found an effective remedy for psoriasis when used along with Mahonia aquifolium and Indigo Naturalis. The aloe plant gel can be applied to the skin up to three times a day.
Gotu Kola or Centella Asiatica
Centella Asiatica is an Ayurvedic herb belonging to the parsley family traditionally used for a variety of health conditions. It’s also known as “a herb of longevity” used to prolong the lifespan. It has a role in memory issues, nerve damage, anxiety, depression, stress, and many more. Gotu Kola leaves is used as a culinary ingredient in various salads and curry dishes. Because of the bitter-sweet taste, it is usually blended with chamomile and lavender for controlling anxiety.
Take a herbal remedy by preparing a concoction of 21 leaves of Centella Asiatica, turmeric, and honey for three months. Also apply kizhi (bolus of herbs or medicines held in a small cloth bag which is pressed on the patient’s body) with Ayapana triplinervis, Centella Asiatica, turmeric, and tulsi for two hours every day. Later take a bath in lukewarm water after adding some lime juice. This is the most effective ayurvedic treatment which is commonly found in the south part of India, Kerala, popularly known as the land of Ayurvedic treatments.
Herbal oil- some of the herbs that clinically tried, tested and found effective for the symptoms of Psoriasis such as Wrightia Tinctoria (Indrajau), Azadirachta indica (neem), and the root extract of Hemidesmus Indicus (Anantmool).
One of the products that soothe the symptoms of psoriasis is SISAIROSP. It is a herbal oil preparation containing the oil-soluble bioactive extracts from Wrightia Tinctoria (Indrajau), Azadirachta indica (neem), and the root extract of Hemidesmus Indicus (Anantmool). Apply externally SISAIROSP OIL on the affected parts of the body daily in the morning hours. Expose to sunlight for 10- 15 minutes. Wash off with hot water without using soap or other medicated detergents. Use green gram powder (Besan) is recommended. Use for six to eight weeks continuously and repeat for another period if necessary.
Psoriasis can also be treated by bringing changes to lifestyle and diet based on the body constitution.
(Also Read: Eczema and Treatments)
- During the Treatment of Psoriasis, you have to take high protein vegetarian diets like pulses, peas are recommended. And strictly avoid fatty food and excess spices, bitter and sour substances.
- Excessive intake of yogurt, seafood, salty foods, and sour food can cause an aggravation in the disease condition.
- A minimum of two liters of water should be consumed daily. Diet should contain lots of green leafy vegetables.
The following foods trigger psoriasis – aerated bottle drinks, alcohol, red meat, seafoods, chilies, hot spices, junk foods, oily foods, berries (such as strawberries) tomato, most acidic foods, and vitamin-c. People with poor diets are likely to have much worse psoriasis.
- The doctor strictly recommends avoiding drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Psoriasis patients have to avoid stressful conditions, because it may act as a trigger for psoriasis. Psoriasis may also develop due to excess stress.
- Avoid dryness of the skin and use plenty of oil and oil-based products for the skin.
- Expose your skin to small amounts of sunlight.
- It is also recommended by dermatologists to wear cotton clothes and to avoid synthetic clothes.
- Avoid cold climate and extremes of climate.
- Bathing daily helps remove scales with some bath oil, colloidal oatmeal, Epsom salts or the Dead Sea salts to the water and soak. Use lukewarm water and mild medicated soaps(TETAMOSOL) that have added oils and fats. Soak about 10 minutes then gently pat dry skin.
- Use moisturizer – After bathing, moisturize your skin to keep moist. For dry skin, oils may be preferable like extra virgin coconut oil— they have more staying power than creams or lotions and are more effective at preventing water from evaporating from your skin. The oil can also be used as a scalp treatment to help loosen psoriasis scales.
Other Effective products for Psoriasis
Disclaimer: Content on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. We use Affiliate links as this is our means to survive. We by no means solicit any products for any company. Please take professional guidance or doctor’s advice before taking these medicines as every individual is different and circumstances are different for all. We by no means will be held responsible for any bad effects that can come out of using these medicines.