Moringa oleifera is a plant that is often called the drumstick tree, the miracle tree, has been used for centuries due to its medicinal properties and health benefits. Moringa oleifera is a plant native to northern India that can also grow in other tropical and sub-tropical places, like Asia and Africa. It is very rich in healthy antioxidants and essential nutrients including protein, vitamin B6, vitamin C, riboflavin, calcium, magnesium, zinc, and Iron. Antioxidants can protect cells from damage and may boost your immune system and some evidence that it can also lower blood pressure.
Almost all parts of the tree (leaves, flowers, seeds, and roots) are edible. The seeds are utilized to extract oil while the flowers and leaves can be used to make varieties of dishes. The moringa powder is extracted from the leaves that are sun-dried, crushed and finally ground. Moringa powder is very much in demand to make moringa tea. The moringa leaves contain:
- 3 times more iron than spinach (a great source of iron),
- 7 times more vitamin C than oranges,
- 4 times the calcium of milk and
- 15 times more potassium than bananas.
They are also very rich in Vitamin A, low in fats, and contain no harmful cholesterol. Here let’s discover the health benefits in detail:
Health Benefits of Moringa
- Regulate Blood Sugar Levels: several studies have shown that Moringa oleifera can help lower blood sugar levels (diabetes). This is due to the presence of isothiocyanates in drumstick leaves.
2. Good for blood pressure: Moringa contains isothiocyanate and niaziminin, compounds that help to stop the thickening of arteries and prevent the risk of blood pressure, stroke, and heart attack.
3. Good for healthy bones: Due to the high content of calcium and phosphorus, moringa leaves are good for people suffering from arthritis and joint pain. It also promotes a healthy bone structure and also prevents the loss of bone density.
4. Helps you manage asthma: Moringa may help reduce the severity of asthma attacks. Asthma patients can try moringa tea to their morning routine and manage asthma. Also taking 3 grams of moringa powder twice daily for 3 weeks reduces the symptoms associated with asthma and improves lung function.
5. Improves Iron Deficiency Anemia: Moringa leaves contains a high content of iron that promotes red blood cells and prevents anemia.
6. Helps improve digestive health: Drumstick contains a high amount of Vitamin B (niacin, riboflavin and vitamin B12), which play an essential role in improving your digestion and digestive health. Moreover, drumsticks contain dietary fiber that regulates your digestive functions and relieves constipation. The antibiotic and antibacterial properties of moringa may help inhibit the growth of various pathogens. Moringa is also known for its strong anti-inflammatory properties and may help in treating some stomach disorders such as gastritis, and ulcerative colitis.
7. Promotes healthy skin and hair: Moringa is rich in vitamin A, E, and B along with minerals such as silica and zinc which helps in stimulating the natural growth of hair and preventing dryness, dandruff as well as hair loss. Moringa seed oil is beneficial can be used as a moisturizer and also to treat skin problems like skin rashes, and sunburn. The moringa leaf paste can cure acne due to its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
8. Moringa seeds for weight loss: Drumstick/Moringa is a very effective remedy to attain a flat belly or lose weight fast. Some of the studies have shown that moringa can prevent fat accumulation in the body and stimulates the breakdown of fat in the body.
9. Promotes Heart Health: Moringa is rich in powerful antioxidants that might help prevent cardiac damage and has also been shown to maintain a healthy heart.
10. Improves Sleep: Moringa is good for insomnia, or trouble sleeping, Moringa contains amino acid tryptophan that is required for the production of the neurotransmitter serotonin and melatonin, the sleep cycle regulating hormone which produces healthy sleep and a stable mood. Steep moringa leaves in hot water for 15 minutes and drink it before you go to bed for a good night’s sleep.
Moringa leaves are highly nutritious and should be beneficial for people who are lacking in essential nutrients. You can either take moringa supplement, powder or capsules. But be careful about the dosage and consult your doctor before including it in your routine.
Disclaimer: Content on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. We use Affiliate links as this is our means to survive. Please take professional guidance or a doctor’s advice before taking these medicines as every individual is different and circumstances are different for all. We by no means will be held responsible for any bad effects that can come out of using these medicines.