Eczema is a condition that causes the skin to become itchy, dry and cracked. Eczema sometimes called atopic dermatitis. People with eczema often have allergies or asthma along with itchy, red skin. Atopic eczema is most common in children and babies, to develop eczema on their face, often developing before their first birthday. It’s usually a chronic (long-term) condition, although it can improve significantly, or even clear completely, in some children as they get older.
Symptoms of Eczema
The symptoms of Eczema are different for everyone, it can appear anywhere on the body and symptoms may be different from one person to other which include:
- Itching thickened dry scaly skin.
- Dark-colored patches of skin, especially on the hands, feet, ankles, wrists, neck, upper chest, eyelids, insides of the elbows and knees, and the face and scalp in children.
- the itchy rash can produce an oozing, crusting condition when scratched.
- Areas of swelling.
Causes of Eczema
The prime cause of eczema remains unknown, but it is believed to develop due to a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Children are more likely to develop eczema if a parent has had the condition. Certain substances or conditions trigger eczema to flare up to become worse. These trigger factors can be:
- Irritants such as soaps and detergents, wool, skin infections, dry skin, low humidity, heat, sweating or emotional stress.
- Allergens such as dust mites, pets, pollen, molds.
- Dairy products, eggs, nuts and seeds, soy products, and wheat can cause eczema flare-ups.
(Also Read: Seborrheic Dermatitis and Treatments)
Treatment of Eczema
Ayurveda is one of the world’s oldest healing systems. For centuries, Ayurvedic herbs have been used to improve overall health and wellness.
In Ayurveda, this disease is known as Vicharchika. It occurs when the immune system becomes unbalanced, so the condition is often associated with other allergic conditions like allergic asthma, hay fever, etc. According to Ayurveda, Eczema or Vicharchika is caused due to a poor diet and lifestyle, which leads to indigestion and aggravation of Pitta Dosha (Ayurvedic humor representing Fire). Pitta manifests in the skin and causes an accumulation of heating toxins known as ama. These toxins accumulate in body tissues, contaminating them at a deep level and causing Eczema. Usage of creams, antibiotics and steroids can only control the symptoms but it does not affect the root cause of this disease and that is the reason why this problem often reappears. Ayurveda proposes a customized Eczema treatment plan for patients, with proper diet and herbal combinations. The ayurvedic treatment works on pacifying Pitta by improving the digestive system of the body and removes the toxins out from your body.
Herbal remedies for eczema involve both herbal preparations externally to relieve any discomfort and internally to treat the underlying causes.
Topically, herbs for eczema usually combine antiseptic herbs and herbs that soothe the inflamed area. Internally, herbs for Eczema treatment mainly focus on digestion by improving the function of the liver and the gut wall to enhance the body’s natural absorption and elimination by correcting the digestion.
Ayurveda recommends the following herbs for controlling Eczema:
Neem is a bitter, astringent herb with antibacterial activity. It clears away toxins in the blood and liver. Massage neem oil over affected areas to prevent eczema symptoms and helps skin regeneration.
Different variations of Neem:- (BUY FROM AMAZON BY CLICKING THE BELOW LINKS)
Neem Oil: clean and dry the affected area. Apply a moderate amount of oil to the area and gently massage the oil until it is absorbed into the skin.
Organic Neem Leaves:- 5 leaves in hot water or the bathtub.
Honey is a humectant, an anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory agent. Honey heals the broken skin due to itching. When applied directly to eczema, honey could help prevent infections while moisturizing the skin and speeding healing.
Turmeric is one of the strong herbal remedies for eczema, can be used both internally and externally. Curcumin, in turmeric, also good for diabetes, has the potential of reversing the damage caused to the pancreas with increased production of insulin-secreting beta cells. Drinking half a teaspoon of turmeric powder with hot milk every night before going to bed soothes the skin. It can be applied to the affected areas by boiling half a teaspoon of turmeric and washed the cooling solution to the affected areas.
Different variations of Turmeric:-
Shatavari is a cooling herb that calms Pitta and is a great help for the digestive system. Shatavari root, when infused in oil, is a natural cure for eczema.
Mulethi or licorice is a bitter cooling herb with anti-inflammatory properties and soothes tissues to prevent irritation. Make a licorice root salve by boiling 2 tbsp dried licorice root and 6 cups water. Cover the pan, lower heat and simmer for about 40 minutes. You can use this with a cold compress or add it to bath water for soothing relief.
Different variations of Licorice:- (BUY FROM AMAZON BY CLICKING THE BELOW LINKS)
Manjistha/ Indian Madder (Rubia Cordifolia)
Indian Madder is one of the best herbs for healthy skin. It is Pitta pacifying, calms itching, and acts as a blood purifier. Indian madder is a detoxifying herb that can be used along with neem for a thorough skin clarifying effect. Mix neem and manjistha in equal proportions and take half a teaspoon of this mixture twice a day with warm water after meals or as directed by a Herbal Practitioner.
Different variations of Manjistha:- (BUY FROM AMAZON BY CLICKING THE BELOW LINKS)
Manjistha (Indian Madder Root)90 Vegetarian Capsules: Take 1 capsule 3 times per day after meals or as directed by your healthcare professional.
(Also Read: Psoriasis and Treatments)
- Take Lukewarm water in a tub and allow children to play. Lukewarm water will act as a natural moisturizer.
- Playing in seawater is beneficial as it will reduce skin dryness. The minerals in the sea salt act as a natural moisturizer or else dissolve rock salt in lukewarm water and immerse the dryness area in the solution at least for 15 minutes so that it will retain the natural moisturization.
- Fatty acids present in the Virgin Coconut oil can bring the natural moisturization to the skin especially for kids below 1-year-old to control dryness.
- The traditional way of applying Sesame oil before bathing is beneficial to control the dryness. Fatty acids present in the sesame oil controls the dryness. It will work as a natural protective mechanism and thereby reduce the irritation to the skin. Once in a week apply sesame oil all over the body before bathing.
- Aloe Vera is one of the best herbs for eczema. Apply fresh Aloe Vera gel with one drop of vitamin E capsule on the affected area for quick relief from itching and burning. Drink 30ml of aloe vera juice every morning.
- Tea Tree oil has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and wound-healing properties. It may help relieve skin dryness and itching and help prevent infections. This oil is useful for many skin problems including eczema and seborrheic dermatitis. Always dilute essential oils before using them on the skin. Mix tea tree oil with a carrier oil, such as almond or olive oil, then apply to the affected area.
- If regular soaps and cleansers are too harsh for the skin, washing the skin with natural cleansers like oatmeal and besan (gram flour) can be gentle and moisturizing.
Some other effective products for Eczema:
Disclaimer: Content on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. We use Affiliate links as this is our means to survive. We by no means solicit any products for any company. Please take professional guidance or doctors’ advice before taking these medicines as every individual is different and circumstances are different for all. We by no means will be held responsible for any bad effects that can come out of using these medicines.